We all have a mental as well as a physical health and it is really important that we take time to look after ourselves each day - this becomes even more essential if we are experiencing a particularly busy or difficult period in our lives. In times of crisis it is often self-care that falls to the bottom of our to-do list but if we take a moment to check in on ourselves and understand our own needs it can help us to feel calmer, more resourced and better able to deal with the issues life sometimes throws in our path.
5 Self-Care Top Tips to Improve Resilience and Well-Being
1) Look at what you have eaten or are planning to eat to day. Will these foods fuel you or deplete you? Processed foods can be really handy when we’re up against it or too busy to meal plan but they can also leave us feeling drained and sluggish.
2) Drink more water! Cleans out toxins and keeps you hydrated. Our brain will find it harder to manage tough emotions if we don’t drink enough fluid and water is the best hydrator there is!
3) Get into nature. Helps us gain some perspective and create calm. Win – win!
4) Do some exercise. Even just a short walk can help to burn off nervous feelings. Getting fitter increases our lung capacity helping us breath more efficiently so it can even help us manage anxiety and panic symptoms better.
5) Sleep. We all know how hard it is to function well after a bad night’s sleep. Are you certain you’re doing all you can to get the best sleep possible? Learning about what affects our sleep and making steps to improve sleep patterns is great self-care. Doesn’t everything just feel harder when we’re drained and exhausted?
Self-care is a great way to ensure you are equipped to deal with life's issues. If you're feeling unable to manage your feelings and some of life's challenges, it may be worth considering speaking to a counsellor.
... if we take a moment to check in on ourselves and understand our own needs it can help us to feel calmer, more resourced and better able to deal with the issues life sometimes throws in our path.